In addition to fundraising for the Seccombe Outreach Fund, we remember the needy year-round by asking for donations of healthy canned and dry food and new or gently used clothing, shoes and household linens, which may be left in marked baskets in the church narthex (entrance). Using the theme of Mindful Giving, we encourage donors to give what recipients need most, according to our partner agencies. This includes:
- Nutritious, easily prepared food for children who rely heavily on school meal programs and so are at risk of hunger on evenings, weekends and holiday periods. Shopping lists are available in the narthex for the Pack the Back program, run by Ecumenical Hunger Program (EHP) in East Palo Alto.
- Similar food for adults and families; shopping lists are available in the narthex. Items may be taken to the Urban Ministry Downtown Food Closet in Palo Alto, part of InnVision Shelter Network (IVSN); to one of IVSN’s individual or family shelters; or EHP. In January we hold the Souper Bowl, asking for donations of canned hearty soups and stews with pop-top lids.
- Seasonal items such as school supplies (mid-July through August), delivered to EHP; cold-weather outerwear and raingear (November-December), delivered to EHP and IVSN; Christmas gifts for children and adults (December), delivered to EHP for its Family Sharing program and the Service League, for children of San Mateo County jail inmates who would otherwise not be able to give their child a present; and homemade Christmas cookies for jail inmates and guards, delivered by the Service League on Christmas Day.
- New or gently used clothing and household linens for children and adults, delivered to EHP and IVSN. (Note: Unusable items may be taken to Goodwill, discarded or reserved for a rummage sale; worn linens may be taken to the Palo Alto Humane Society.)
- Mini toiletries and hygiene items, delivered to IVSN’s drop-in Opportunity Services Center in Palo Alto.
- New greeting cards, which the Service League provides to inmates to keep in touch with loved ones. (Matching envelopes required; postcards, stickers and calendars are not accepted under terms of the program.)